Echogen’s solution turns thermal energy into electricity, using sand as the storage medium. The process involves using a carbon dioxide heat pump cycle to convert electricity into thermal energy by heating the sand-based reservoir, which is then converted back into electricity on demand.
- Heat pump (refrigeration) cycle
- Uses electrical power to move heat from a cold reservoir to a hot reservoir
- Creates stored energy as both “heat” and “cold”
- Heat engine (power) cycle
- Uses heat stored in hot reservoir to generate electrical power
- “Cold” energy improves performance of heat engine